How do I know if I am at risk for diabetes?
You may have all or some of these DIABETES RISK FACTORS for Type 2 diabetes:
- little or no physical activity
- unhealthy diet
- mother, father, brother or sister has diabetes
- African American, American Indian, Hispanic American, or Pacific Islander
- older than 45 years
- woman who had a baby weighing over 9 pounds
- high blood pressure (above 120/80)
- high cholesterol
To learn more:
- Preventing Type 2 Diabetes
(National Diabetes Information Clearinghouse (NDIC))
- This site provides information about what traits or behaviors may put you at risk for diabetes type 2.
- Risk Test
(American Diabetes Association)
- Take the Diabetes Risk Test provided by the American Diabetes Association.
- Your Disease Risk: Diabetes
(Siteman Cancer Center at Barnes-Jewish Hospital and Washington University School of Medicine)
- TheSiteman Cancer Center provides this interactive tool for measuring your risk for diabetes, as well as other diseases.