Wellness, Healthy Living
- Closing the Gap in Health Care
- This site, developed and written by Dr. Thaddeus Bell, an African American family physician, provides medical tips to African Americans "to help you help your health care professionals to provide you with the best available care." The site includes tips to listen to and tips to read.
(National Institute on Aging)
- Provides resources for older adults to get active and includes a series of exercises that are designed especially for older adults using materials already in their homes. Seniors can set personal fitness goals, track their progress and watch success story videos. Resources are also available for family and friends, organizations and health professionals.
- Healthy Living
- Links to sites which have been reviewed by librarians at the National Library of Medicine. Topics include News, General/Overviews, Research, Specific Conditions/Aspects, Organizations, Statistics, Children, Teenagers, Men, Women, Seniors, and more. This page has broad coverage of health and wellness issues, including spirituality, physical exercise, good nutrition, preventive health care, and more. Select espaĆ±ol from the menu bar for Spanish links.
- Living to 100 Life Expectancy Calculator
- Take this quiz to find out how long you might expect to live! The quiz is based on research done with people who lived to be at least 100. Answer all the questions and you will receive an estimation of your lifespan. You will also learn why each item is related to how long you might live and what you might do to maximize your health and quality of life as you age.
- Prevention and Wellness on Family Doctor.org
(American Academy of Family Physicians)
- Information on diet, exercise and preventive health services like tests, immunizations, screenings.
- Self-Care Advisory
- "This free web site is dedicated to educating the public about self treatment of common illnesses and injuries, with special attention to use of non-prescription medications and other products readily available to the consumer." Content is written by doctors and pharmacists. Each topic has four parts: the Basics; Prevention; Treatment at home; and When to Seek Profesional Care. Many common illneses are covered.
- Sun Exposure
- Links to sites which have been reviewed by librarians at the National Library of Medicine.
- Heat Illness
- Links to sites which have been reviewed by librarians at the National Library of Medicine. Topics include General/Overviews, Prevention/Screening, Specific Conditions/Aspects, Treatment, Organizations, Children, Teenagers, Seniors, and more. Learn about the dangers of extreme heat, heat rash, sunstroke, and heat stroke, and how to keep cool. Select espanol from the menu bar for Spanish links.
- Traveler's Health
- Links to sites which have been reviewed by librarians at the National Library of Medicine. Topics include News, General/Overviews, Prevention/Screening, Research, Specific Conditions/Aspects, Organizations, Children, Teenagers, and more. This is a good place to begin learning about how to travel and stay well. Read about jet lag, cruise ship health, vaccination requirements for international travel, current infectious outbreaks like SARS, traveling with children, and more. Select espanol from the menu bar for Spanish links.
- Wellness and Lifestyle topics
- This page lists links to topics on wellness and lifestyle in MEDLINEplus
(U.S. Department of Health and Human Services)
- This government site covers a broad range of women's health issues. You can choose from a list of Health topics or enter your own search. Features include Hot Topics, Women's Health News Today, Body image, Men's Health, Women with disabilities, and others. Also available in Spanish.
Last Modified: Monday October 28, 2019 2:26 PM