Environmental Resources in South Carolina
- Association of Occupational and Environmental Clinics
- This page has links to clinics, organized by state, province, and institution. Standard descriptions include the address, contact information, a description of the clinic, a list of common diagnoses, services provided (including training), and areas of research interest. There are no clinics in South Carolina, but there are in both Georgia and North Carolina. The regional Pediatric Environmental Health Unit is in Atlanta.
- Clemson University Cooperative Extension Service
- Clemson University has Cooperative Extension Service offices in each county. These offices provide education and assistance to the public in several areas including agriculture, forestry, nutrition, food safety, health, wildlife management, water quality and pesticide control. You can have your soil tested for nutrient values at their offices or learn to be a Master Gardener or Master Waste Educator. A highlight of their program are the 4-H Clubs for youth, which teach citizenship, natural resources, family and consumer sciences, food and nutrition, agriculture, science and technology.
- Compliance Assistance (Compass)
(South Carolina Department of Health and Environmental Control)
- Compass is a site that will help citizens get the information needed to be in compliance with DHEC's environmental regulations. Provides links, shortcuts and phone numbers to get assistance on what they need.
- Environmental Engineering & Earth Sciences
- This school studies natural and manmade factors which affect the natural environment and how to monitor and protect it. It is concerned with the affect of pollution on human health and maintaining a balanced and healthy ecosystem.
- Healthy People Living in Healthy Communities
- The 2009 annual report of the South Carolina Department of Health and Environmental Control is a good resource for learning about the environmental issues that South Carolina citizens and communities are living with. Planning efforts and projects by DHEC, citizens groups, and other partnerships are described.
- The link above requires Adobe Acrobat Reader. If you are unable to view or download this article, get Acrobat Reader here.
- Savannah River Site Cleanup By the Numbers
(U.S. Department of Energy Office of Environmental Management)
- This site provides information about managing contamination from the nuclear weapons complex at the Savannah River Site in Aiken, SC.
- SC Department of Natural Resources
- This site is a great place to learn more about your environment and have fun too. Go to the column on the left, click on Environment, Education, and Special Programs to learn about the climate, land and water conservation and volunteer programs and camps for children and adults.
- South Carolina Department of Health and Environmental Control
- In addition to operating county health departments and clinics, DHEC is responsible for monitoring for pollution of our water systems, air and land. They are responsible for issuing environmental permits and licensing facilities that store hazardous wastes. The agency also offers funding, education and technical assistance for recycling programs and provides speakers to talk with students interested in health and environmental careers.
Last Modified: Tuesday October 29, 2019 10:50 AM