- Aim for a Healthy Weight
(National Heart Lung and Blood Institute)
- Losing weight takes time and perseverance. This website can help jumpstart your efforts. Learn how to take small steps to change your lifestyle, and find tips for eating well at home and on the road as well as being more active. Calculate your body mass index. Learn about portions and serving size. Use the menu planner to add up the calories, fats, and carbs you eat in a day.
- The link above requires Adobe Acrobat Reader. If you are unable to view or download this article, get Acrobat Reader here.
- Calculate Your Body Mass Index
(National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute)
- Use this interactive site to determine your body mass index (BMI), the measure of body fat based on height and weight that applies to both men and women. Click on Assessing Your Risk to learn more about how being overweight affects your health. Includes links to Healthy Weight Home and a Menu Planner.
- Louieās Kids: Fighting Obesity One Child at a Time
- Louie's Kids is a non-profit, tax-exempt organization that raises money to treat childhood obesity. Louie's Kids provides scholarships for children to attend summer camps specializing in weight loss and behavior modification for children. The Website includes links to camps for overweight children, as well as advice and recipes for losing weight.
- This is a collection of links to web sites reviewed by librarians at the National Library of Medicine. Topic areas include Latest News, General/Overview, Clinical Trials, Diagnosis/Symptoms, Nutrition, Prevention/Screening, Research, Specific Conditions/Aspects, Treatment, Genetics, and more.
(Hands on Health-SC)
- Read this for a general introduction to obesity and overweight. Also includes links to many Web sites which focus on all aspects of obesity.
- South Carolina Physicians
(The American Society of Bariatric Physicians)
- ASBP is a national professional medical specialty society of licensed physicians who offer specialized programs in the medical treatment of obesity (bariatrics) and its associated conditions. Read through Frequently Asked Questions to learn more about obesity, risks and costs associated with this condition, and treatment options. Related Links offers numerous links to other professional organizations and government resources with information about overweight, obesity, and related conditions.
- Weight Control
- Links to sites which have been reviewed by librarians at the National Library of Medicine.
- Weight Control & Healthy Living
(National Institute of Diabetes & Digestive & Kidney Diseases)
- Learn about many aspects of weight management and obesity, including dieting, eating disorders, exercise, surgery, and more. There are topics directed at teens, adults, seniors, pregnant women, African Americans, and about children and obesity. There is also a lengthy list of links and contact information on the Weight Loss & Control Organizations Resource List.
Last Modified: Friday February 10, 2017 10:41 AM